First look for a certificate provider who can provide a free SSL/TLS for Server certificate. I have searched and compiled a list of free certificates who can provide a free certificate for QNAP.
I will show you how to get the certificate and install these on the QNAP from startssl.com, with this you can get unlimited free renewals.
Please check the list below:
List of free SSL/TLS certificates:
- https://buy.wosign.com/free ( some time you get untrusted seller ).
- https://letsencrypt.org/ ( Auto install with Plesk ).
- https://www.digitalberg.com/ssl-certificates/ssl-price/ (from top provider).
I’m going to start a sign up on StartSSL where you can decrypt the private key tool inside of the My Account link.
I have a QNAP PRO TS-269L, Firmware: 4.2.1
See the screenshot of where to apply for the certificates in the QNAP:
So we need a ‘certificate’, ‘Private key’ with encrypted and decrypted – both and ‘intermediate key’.
New Certificate keys must be installed on the QNAP on the first box, Decrypted private key for the second box in QNAP and intermediate certificate on third / last box in the QNAP, see the picture above.
QNAP security accepts a decrypted key instead of an encrypted private key so we have to use decrypt private key tool from StartSSL account or google it.
Let’s Start with Certificate
- Go to StartSSL.com
- Click on Sign-up
- Choose your country and personal / cooperate email.
- verify your code.
- Validate your Domain.
- Go to your account and click on certificate Wizard
- Select Web Server SSL/TLS Certificate
- Add your subdomain name for server. e.g. i have add ‘cloud’ before my domain.
- Next step is to create a CSR key for your cloud domain.
- For QNAP use Generate by PKI system with your password.
- Submit request, immediately you will get your Private Key and intermediate Key to download.
- Next step is to decrypt your encrypted Key certificate to decrypt for QNAP.
- Go back to your startSSL account then click on ‘ToolBox’.
- Look for decrypt Tool.
- Enter the Private Key into Enter Private Key and Password box and passphrase then click decrypt.
- Once you get your decrypted key please save this as decrypt private key.
- Now you should have intermediate key, decrypt key and Certificate ready in folder.
Now go to QNAP
- Login to your QNAP
- Go to Control panel > System settings > Security.
- Add your first ‘Certificate’ on first box
- Then Add your Decrypted Key on your QNAp second box. where mentioned: PrivateKey: please enter a certificate or private key in x.509PEM format below.
- last thing is to copy and paste this ‘intermediate key’ on the last / third box and then Apply. good to go!
- Go to your URL to check e.g. https://cloud.qureshi.me.